Wednesday, February 17, 2010

***updated 2.18.10***

Stumbling upon this really cool wreath made from Rock Candy (thanks to Food Network) I was inspired to do the same. That is until I saw how shockingly expensive it is for what I would need. I believe this one is 12" and used over 120 sticks, with the knobs cut off.

So, after some deliberating I remembered the bag of 300 Dum-Dum's that I bought to bribe Marin to use the potty, a year or so ago. When I got them I could only find a bag of 300, but for $6 I didn't care. I was desperate to get her to use the potty! Now a year later we have over half the bag left (trick-or-treaters don't come our way).

I made the steams slightly shorter and am in the process of making a wreath. Below is the gist with a coat of sealer on it, to keep water, birds and little hands from getting at it. Next I'm going to use the reversible ribbon Marin picked out to line the inside and outside of the wreath and make a bow. No wreath of mine is complete without a bow. If you look too close you can see the foam wreath still, so don't.
It is heavy already; make sure to use a durable wreath hanger.

Quite a different look from my original inspiration, but hopefully it should still be cute in the end. And if not, who needs 300 Dum- Dum's to begin with?

Stuggling with lighting, and I can't find my real wreath holder, but you get the idea. I think it turned out pretty cute! And Marin, my little helper, agrees!

1 comment:

  1. Tiffany Jo Buccolo2/18/10, 4:36 PM

    If I turns out ugly, I'll take it! (It looks pretty cute so far though)

    ReplyDelete